Seems like a stupid question I know, like as if a boiler could actually kill you right?
Wrong, the boiler itself might not be the cause of killing you or someone you love but carbon monoxide released from the boiler could be.
Did you know that central heating boilers – are the most common sources of carbon monoxide?
So what is carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can and will kill you. Carbon monoxide (CO) is sometimes referred to as the “silent killer”. Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.
From July 1st 2012 to June 30th 2013, two British people died and 62 were injured as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning associated with liquid petroleum gas and natural gas in the home.
Of the first of the fatalities it related to a floor standing boiler with ad open flue that hadn’t seen a service for a number of years.
So how can you stop this from happening?
It’s simple really…. Ask yourself these questions…..
How old is your boiler?
When was the last time it was serviced?
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house?
Would you be able to know when you have a leak?
If you don’t know the answer to any on these questions then its better to be safe than sorry by booking your boiler in for a service with us and receiving a half price carbon monoxide alarm, it doesn’t take long and could make you a hero 😉